Painting - 7 Week Class - Dates to be Announced
Here is the class outline....
I. Introduction to materials and methods of painting.
• Drawing and painting; beginner to intermediate
• Includes color theory, elements of composition and painting from still-life.
• Includes improvisation based upon History of Abstraction
• Classes include group discussions, brief lecture and weekly critique
II. Areas of discussion
- Starting: Anything worth doing is worth doing badly (at first)
- Materials, whys and why-nots: Oils, Non-Toxics and Acrylics, and Tools, Wet and Dry Media. Concepts include:
• - composition
• - emphasis
• - scale and proportion
• - balance, rhythm, unity
• - illusion of motion and space
• - shape and volume
• - use of line or not
• - value and color
II. History of Abstraction; Movements 20th Century Before WWII.
There are eighteen identifiable moments in art between 1907 and 1945 which when studied give the student both an insight into the vocabulary and concepts underpinning the ideas of abstraction in visual art.
IV. Students will complete three or more works based upon goal-setting with the instructor
V. Details • Classes start: Tuesday, (Date), 5:30 -8:00 PM (class starts and ends promptly - it is strongly suggested to come early 5:15 PM to set-up)
• Classes: Seven Weeks including (1) Setup meeting and (6) working sessions $240.00 - 2-1/2 hours each, Weekly for 7 continuous weeks. The first meeting (only) which is a no-work introduction, where students will receive materials guide and some hints for success.
• Location Downtown Vancouver
• Supplies list to follow at first class, beginners may expect to make a minimum investment in materials.
• Online registration opens __________________
• Registration is in advance to allow for set-up by instructor for materials etc..
• Non-refundable Deposit $80.00 to reserve your space.
Thanks, Tom Relth
Artist in Residence / Gallery Curator